The fruit and streusel on top of the batter make the cake buckle during baking, hence the name. If strawberries aren't in season use an equal amount of another fresh fruit.
Prep Time: 20m
Cook Time: 50m
Servings: 8 to 12
For the streusel
2.5 oz flour (unbleached all purpose)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of salt
1 1/5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter
For the cake
4 cups quartered strawberries
12 oz flour (unbleached all purpose)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 oz unsalted butter, softened
2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 large eggs (room temperature)
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 350° F and grease two 9" square pans.
- Make the streusel by combining ingredients with your fingers until butter resembles small peas or it is well mixed. Refrigerate till needed.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment on the mixer stand, beat the butter at medium till smooth about one minute. Add ½ cup sugar and the extracts and beat one minute on medium.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar while beating on medium. Turn off mixer and scrape sides and beater. Beat on medium-high for three minutes or until pale and slightly fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and add eggs one at a time, beating completely each time. Stop and scrape again.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated (batter will be thick). Add half the strawberries to the batter and fold in gently with a large rubber spatula.
- Spread batter into prepared pans and top evenly with the remaining strawberries and then sprinkle with streusel. Bake till cake springs back in center when lightly pressed and a toothpick comes out clean, 45-50 mins.
- Cool cake on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 30m, Cook Time: 15mApril 24th, 2019 Main Courses Spring vegetarian
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 35m to 1hApril 24th, 2019 Main Courses Soups & Stews Summer Winter
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 40mApril 24th, 2019 Side Dishes Summer vegan vegetarian