Latkes are a traditional Hanukkah food, but even if you don't celebrate the Jewish festival of lights, you can still make and enjoy them! These golden fritters can be cooked ahead and reheated, making them a great holiday food. Serve them with applesauce and sour cream, a poached egg, or crème fraîche topped with smoked salmon or caviar.
Prep Time: 30m
Cook Time: 30m
Servings: Makes 12 Latkes
2 large russet potatoes, peeled
1 large onion, peeled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour or potato flour
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
safflower oil or other vegetable oil for frying
2 tablespoons rendered chicken fat, more if needed (optional)
applesauce or sour cream to serve
- Using the side of a box grater with large holes, shred the potato and onions. Wrap the shredded mass in clean dish towels and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Let the potato/onion mixture stand for a few minutes and repeat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper. Add the potato/onion mixture, flour, and mix until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat a medium skillet with ¼ inch of oil, adding a few tablespoons of chicken fat if using. Heat oil over medium flame until very hot. Drop a few large tablespoons of potato/onion mixture into the oil, and flatten with the back of a spoon, and cook over medium heat until the edges are golden, about three to four minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden, a few more minutes.
- Drain a paper towel and hold the warm oven on a cookie sheet. Add more oil and chicken fat as needed and repeat until you’ve used all the mixture. Serve hot with suggested condiments.
- Note: to make ahead, fry the latkes and allow them to cool completely. Wrap in plastic and keep in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for up to two weeks. Reheat in a single layer on a cookie sheet in a 325°F oven until they’re crisp again.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 40mAugust 31st, 2019 Soups & Stews Summer
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m plus time to chill , Cook Time: NAAugust 31st, 2019 Soups & Stews Summer vegetarian
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mAugust 28th, 2019 Main Courses Snacks & Appetizers Summer vegan vegetarian