Wendy Nevett Bazil of Healthier Kitchen replaces the tomatoes found in traditional shakshouka with hearty greens, making this a perfect breakfast, lunch or dinner for Fall.
Prep Time: 15m
Cook Time: 15m
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 bunches chard, kale, collards or other dark, leafy greens
1Tablespoon olive or other vegetable oil
½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, more to taste
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika, more to garnish
¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
8 chicken eggs (or 6 duck eggs)
optional toppings: crumbled feta, grated parmesan or cotija cheese, chopped jalapeños
- Peel and thinly slice the onion and peel and mince the garlic cloves.
- Wash and dry the greens. Cut or tear out the stems of the greens, finely chop the stems, and set aside. Stack the leaves of the greens, roll them up, and thinly slice the leaves into ribbons. Chop into smaller pieces if the ribbons are very large.
- Heat oil in a large skillet that either has a lid or can be covered with aluminum foil, over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they start to soften, about 5 – 6 minutes.
- Add the chopped stems, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and smoked paprika, and cook about 10 more minutes, mixing often, until all the greens soften and the onion are well distributed throughout.
- Mix the cream into the vegetables in the pan, and smooth the back of a large spoon across the top of the mixture to level it out.
- Make 8 small wells (or 6 if using duck eggs) in the vegetables with the back of the spoon, and carefully crack one egg into each well. Cover the pan and let cook on medium-low until the egg whites are fully set. This should take about 5 – 6 minutes for a softer, runny yolk and about 7 - 8 minutes for a more set yolk.
- Sprinkle a little more salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and any optional toppings over the eggs and serve.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mOctober 2nd, 2019 Fall Salads vegan vegetarian
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mSeptember 23rd, 2019 Condiments
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 40mAugust 31st, 2019 Soups & Stews Summer