Creamy (yet creamless!), comforting, and gently spiced, this vegan soup comes together in a snap and will keep you warm and cozy as the temperatures drop. Adapted from Minimalist Baker.
Prep Time: 15m
Cook Time: 30m
1 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
2 shallots, diced
1-inch piece of ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 hot chile pepper, seeds removed and minced (optional)
6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper, more to taste
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
2 cups vegetable broth
To serve: 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted, chopped cilantro, canned coconut milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.Once hot, add oil, shallots, garlic, ginger and optional chile pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash and season with salt and pepper, curry powder, and ground cinnamon. Stir to coat. Then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adjusting to taste. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
- Serve as is or with garnishes of choice. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 15mOctober 29th, 2019 Fall Main Courses vegetarian
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mOctober 2nd, 2019 Fall Salads vegan vegetarian
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mSeptember 23rd, 2019 Condiments