Rhubarb is often paired with strawberries in desserts, but we love it when rhubarb flies solo, showing off its tart flavor and silky texture. This Kerry Dunnington recipe comes together quickly and can be served as a dessert or for breakfast.
Prep Time: 30m
Cook Time: 35m
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups finely diced rhubarb (about ½ pound)
½ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using a mixing stand or hand mixer beat the butter with the white and brown sugar until fluffy, about one minute. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until slightly fluffy. Alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk and beat until well combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared baking pan and spreading evenly.
- In a small bowl, toss the walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Distribute the mixture evenly over the cake. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 40mAugust 31st, 2019 Soups & Stews Summer
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m plus time to chill , Cook Time: NAAugust 31st, 2019 Soups & Stews Summer vegetarian
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mAugust 28th, 2019 Main Courses Snacks & Appetizers Summer vegan vegetarian