Local peaches call for a local dessert! For Baltimore peach cake, a not-too-sweet yeasted batter is topped with peak-of-the-season peaches. This makes a lovely dessert, and since it's not too sweet, it is also nice for breakfast. Adapted from Martha Stewart.
Prep Time: 1h30m
Cook Time: 50m
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/2 cup warm whole milk
One 1/4-ounce envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature, plus more for bowl and pan
3 large peaches, pitted and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup sanding sugar
2 tablespoons apricot or peach jam thinned with a teaspoon or two of warm water
- Combine 1 teaspoon sugar and milk in a glass measuring cup. Sprinkle yeast over milk and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and whisk to combine.
- Whisk together flour, salt, and 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Place bowl on mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and beat to combine (you may need to stop the mixer and scrape down the sides). Knead dough for 5 minutes. Add butter, piece by piece, and continue to knead until dough is smooth, scraping down sides once, about 5 minutes. Transfer dough to a well-buttered bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and set aside in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Coat hands with butter or oil to prevent sticking and punch down dough and remove from bowl. Pat dough into a buttered 13-by-9-inch baking pan. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange peaches on dough in a slightly overlapping pattern and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Bake until golden brown and set in the center, 40 to 50 minutes. Brush peaches with jelly or jam.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
More Recipes from the Archive
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 15mOctober 29th, 2019 Fall Main Courses vegetarian
Level: Easy, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mOctober 2nd, 2019 Fall Salads vegan vegetarian
Level: Medium, Prep Time: 15m, Cook Time: 30mSeptember 23rd, 2019 Condiments